I am a major book fiend. I have a bookcase full of books, a children’s bookcase and a Kindle with a ton of books. When I first started sewing again in January, I got my sewing machine and Colette’s Sewing Handbook all in the same week. I picked up The Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman a couple of weeks later for my Kindle/iPad. I was hooked. Since then, I voraciously read sewing and knitting blogs-last count in my Google Reader-98. Can anyone say obsessed? I love checking blogs-the thing is, people who sew aren’t writing every single day, so I’m not reading 100 posts a day. (but I would)
I’ve found some books on Amazon that I’d like to get and can’t decide which one to order next. On my wishlist is (in no particular order).
- Little Bits Quilting Bee: 20 Quilts Using Charm Packs, Jelly Rolls, Layer Cakes, and Fat Quarters by Kathreen Ricketson
- The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting by Sarah Veblen
- A Field Guide to Fabric Design: Design, Print & Sell Your Own Fabric; Traditional & Digital Techniques; for Quilting, Home Dec & Apparel by Kimberly Kight- I want to get my husband to read this. He is an artist and I want him to do some fabric for me.
- Alabama Studio Sewing + Design: A Guide to Hand-Sewing an Alabama Chanin Wardrobe by Natalie Chanin
- Shape Shape: Sewing Clothing Patterns to Wear Multiple Ways by Natsuno Hiraiwa
- Pattern Magic 2 by Tomoko Nakamichi
- The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook by Nora Abousteit
- Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified by Cal Patch
- Building Patterns the Architecture of Women’s Clothing by Suzy Furrer
- Alabama Stitch Book: Projects and Stories Celebrating Hand-Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery for Contemporary Sustainable Style by Natalie Chanin
- Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments by Shufu To Seikatsu Sha
- The Best of Knitscene: A Collection of Simple, Stylish, and Spirited by Lisa Shroyer
- My Grandmother’s Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers by Larissa Golden Brown
- Quilting Modern: Techniques and Projects for Improvisational Quilts by Jacquie Gering, Katie Pedersen
- Knitting Everyday Finery: Practical Designs for Dressing Up in Little Ways by Mel Clark
- Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection: 400+ Easy Embroidery Designs by Aimée Ray
- Chic & Simple Sewing: Skirts, Dresses, Tops, and Jackets for the Modern Seamstress by Christine Haynes
- Sweet Shawlettes: 25 Irresistible Patterns for Knitting Cowls, Capelets, and More by Jean Moss
- Stitch by Stitch: Learning to Sew, One Project at a Time by Deborah Moebes
- Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots by Denyse Schmidt
- Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To by Jenny Hart, Alexandra Grablewski
It’s a big list, I know. Any suggestions on any of these books?
I did pre-order a book today. Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing: A Modern Guide to Couture-Style Sewing Using Basic Vintage Techniques by Gertie Hirsch of Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing fame. I love her blog and am so excited to read her book. Hooray for preorders. Something to look forward to in the fall. Congratulations to Gertie and her book! The cover is awesome.